Tuesday, September 15, 2009

PJ O'Reilly's

PJ O'Reilly's is a new Irish pub off Ardrey Kell Road near Ballantyne. I found this place by accident as it is hidden in a shopping center and no bright lights (which the no bright lights is a good thing!). I went in and was very happy to find it was 100% no smoking and there were several televisions that decorated the walls. The restaurant was also decorated in the homely, pub flare.

The menu had a variety of food and not limited to "Irish" - Irish food (corned beef, cabbage and potatoes) and some English dishes (bangers, fish and chips) and America (burgers, chicken fingers, cheesesteak). I had settled on the Rynne's Ruben (corned beef, kraut, swiss and 1000 island dressing) and wedding rings (aka onion rings). I also ordered a Guinness for an appetizer.

The food took a little bit (but hey - it's a new place) but the server was very friendly and had a great attitude. She made the wait shorter by bringing another Guinness. My food eventually came and I was more excited about the wedding rings than the sandwich. They were fried in a Guinness batter - hot and crispy. As far as the Ruben, I was disappointed in the corned beef. Being Irish (ah oh!) - the corned beef was thick, dry and fat was covering the entire piece of beef. The beef was also very tough and grainy. I did not care for this at all and did not finish my meal. I was surprised that an Irish pub would serve corned beef in this condition. If made correctly, the corned beef would have been moist and the fat would be barely noticeable (noting that corned beef is a fatty meat) - primarily since the corned beef is cooked in its own juice and brine.

I was disappointed that the menu did not have enough true Irish food. Don't get me wrong, Irish food is not the most appetizing but it was more American food with witty Irish names. The service was great but the food failed. Again, this is a new place so I am sure there are some things to 'banger' out. I am torn but I will have to give PJ's 2 ghosts. Service and atmosphere = good but the food = not too Irish.

Feel free to give them a chance - I am sure I will be by there again for another Guinness and possibly another try.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly why I desperately miss Ri Ras and their amazing corned beef. Six Pence Pub in Baxter Village is pretty good, if you haven't been you need to check it out!
    When I moved to the south I went to an O'Charleys on St. Patty's thinking it was a REAL Irish place...ohgawd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJ's is one of the best local quiet places in Ballantyne. The food is great, the bartenders are one of a kind and the people that go there are like family. Great place to go for a cold beer great food and fun with those around you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great neighborhood bar! good food and drinks VERY reasonably priced, we loved the fish & chips and onion rings were amazing. Nice, down to earth people. we will be back

    ReplyDelete