Friday, September 4, 2009

Lupie's Cafe

On the way Uptown to see a disastrous football game, I stopped at Lupie's for my pre-game meal and drinks. You know this place is going to be good once you pull in - nothing like a gravel parking area and a 'waiting area' with a booth facing the street and your local newspapers (Creative Loafing included). There is also a smoking/bar section as well. We waited about 5 minutes for a non-smoking table and were seated by an enthusiastic waiter. Within seconds of being seated we already had out drink order in and were reviewing the menu. This menu has everything a little ghost dreams about - 4 types of chili (and you can make it a 'mac' with spaghetti), burgers, nachos galore, and good ol' Southern cooking specials nightly. I was in luck that Thursday night was chicken and dumplings night... and it came with two sides. I ordered the mac and cheese and the squash. The spouse ordered the Lupie's burger with all the fixins (mustard, ketchup, cheese, onions, lettuce and tomato). As soon as we took our first sip of our cold Guinness waiting for our food - poof! out it came! I think the food was quicker here than any other restaurant I have been to.

My plate came out oozzing devilish goodness (glad I went to the gym that day). It had a heaping serving of mac and cheese (the REAL stuff - with the cheesy crisp topping) and squash with a bowl of the chicken and dumplings and cornbread. I first bit into the squash and it was so hot I practically burnt my tongue... but since I am transparent - it healed quickly. Next the dumplings... there is something about a hot bowl of saucy chicken and dumplings. It had a perfect flavor and not overly salty. The chicken was plentiful in my bowl and very tender. The dumplings sized from small to large balls of dough - and they were delicious. I saved the taste of mac and cheese for last. Again, the mac and cheese was hot and the top was the most perfect toasted cheese topping I have ever had for a restaurant mac and cheese. Cheese pulled from the mac noodles and the fork could barely cut it (sweet goodness!). I also eyed Lupie's burger - which was covering the hands of the spouse. The burger was also a very good portion and served on an onion roll - this burger was gone before I could even ask for a bite! When we checked out, the service was just ask gracious as when we entered.

I give Lupie's a solid 4 ghosts!
Go check it out - I will again... to try the chili and nachos!

www.lupiescafe.com

1 comment:

  1. You should try the peach kuchen. I can't believe you went to Lupie's and didn't have the famous kuchen for dessert!!! You must go back and correct this mistake!

    ReplyDelete