Monday, September 21, 2009

Don Juan's Mexican Restaurant

I ventured to Mint Hill today to try a Don Juan's (plus I had a coupon for a free meal!). Don Juan's is a Mexican restaurant behind Jimmie's on 51 and nested beside Rookie's Sports Bar. Going in, the restaurant looked new and some of the decor looked 'forced' into being a Mexican restaurant. We were told to seat ourselves and a server came to our table - which is good since we were the only people there. The server was friendly enough and brought us some chips and salsa as we browsed the menu. Let me explain the menu - it basically had headings of dishes - Burritos, Quesadillas, Tacos and under these headings were the meat you could get - Steak, Chicken, Pork, Chorizo, Shredded Beef, Ground Beef, Veggie, as well as some small combo plates (these were primarily a taco and chile releno). From looking at the menu, I was glad I had a free meal coupon as it seemed quite pricey for a Mexican restaurant and similar to 1511 Cantina menu prices (being this a very small restaurant, it surprised me). I settled on ordering the jalapeno queso and a beef burrito. My spouse ordered the chorizo burrito.

While we waited, we decided to snack on the chips and salsa. The chips = definitely store bought as they were perfect triangles and had no flavor what-so-ever. The salsa was a watery tomato mess with shards of herbs. It looked like they grabbed the cilantro - leaf and steam - and just threw it into the sauce. The queso came and it actually was a large serving dish versus a bowl ($4.50). It was the typical queso with slices of jalapenos chopped up and placed in there. I was hoping for a little more kick though.

Now for the main course... burritos. The plates were brought out and when placed down, the plate presentation was nice. The burrito, yellow rice and beans with a dab of guacamole and sour cream. I did not get the 'hot plate' warning only because when I touched the plate, it was cold. The burrito size was similar to a Moe's Jr sized burrito and filled with meat and more rice. The burrito itself was subwarm and lacked flavor. I am glad I had some leftover queso to eat the burrito with. The rice also was bland and it was basically yellow rice. I passed on the beans after one bite. As for the chorizo burrito, I took a small bite and again not too exciting considering chorizo is usually a flavorful sausage. It also seemed that the employees were almost too concerned about watching football than putting any effort in their food.

Again, I will state that I was glad I had a coupon as the burritos were $10 a piece (for me to say that my free burrito at Moe's early that week was better is scary). I left the restaurant with no real feelings except I still prefer El Valle (shout out!) and would probably not go back - even with a free meal coupon. I will also mention maybe an hour after leaving we both got bad stomach aches and heartburn... not fun. Thank God for Pepto. Since Don Juan's left me empty (and sick), I give you 1.5 ghosts (the .5 ghost for the queso 'saving' my burrito).


7102 Brighton Park Dr
Mint Hill, NC 28227-8052
(704) 573-0003

3 comments:

  1. It can be so hard to find a decent Mexican restaurant in the Charlotte area... What's your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I just saw this... I am a big fan of El Valle in Matthews... a hike for you in Lk Norman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best Mexican in Charlotte is Taqueria Mexico 7001 South Boulevard

    Dont let looks fool you. This is a hole in the wall in a little strip mall near arrowood. Ihave been going there for over 12 years and this IS THE BEST MEXICAN around. Everything about the place is great. Cheap prices, fun decor, EXCELLENT FOOD!

    ReplyDelete