Monday, June 22, 2009

The Roasting Company

As I was driving to the Southpark area on Sunday afternoon, I realized that since it was Father's Day it would be likely that most of the restaurants would be crowded. Wanting something fast - I decided to eat at the Roasting Company.

When you walk into the RC, the decor doesn't grab you - but the food eventually will. Menus are near the front of the door, which consists primarily of chicken and pork. Each dish has a piece of cornbread and a choice of 1-2 sides. The sides change daily and are posted on the chalk board above the 'order here' area. I decided to order the chicken and black bean combo (rice topped with chicken, black beans, onions, cheese, and jaco sauce), okra and tomatoes and the spicy mac and cheese (a pure carb overload - but excited!). While I waited for my food (which took all of 2-3 minutes), I browsed the salsa bar for a spicy addition to my meal. The salsa bar consists of a mild, hot and very hot sauce and onions. I opted for a mix of the mild and hot and by then, my meal was ready.

My plate was overloaded and HOT! At places like this, I usually like to eat my meal in pieces so I started with the steaming hot okra and tomatoes. The okra was nice and tender and the tomatoes had a nice flavor (not over salted). I sopped up the remaining tomatoes with my moist cornbread. Once I gobbled that down, I started in on my chicken and black bean combo. This meal completely covered the plate and piled high - still piping hot. The jaco sauce is a sweet, brown sauce that is over the chicken. A lot of the sauce would be almost too sweet to eat but if you order it on the side, you can mix in the perfect amount. I was also happy to find out that the sauces were organic and very low in calories. My dish also had more chicken than the 'fillers' you get at other places. Finally - my spicy mac and cheese. Yum - my weakness. It had pieces of pepper in the dish which gave it a nice Chuck Norris kick and it was not overly cheesy. It was the perfect side dish and surprisingly still hot after completing the remaining items of my meal. My meal was ~$10.

I give the Roasting Company 4 ghosts just for the speed of delivery and the hotness of the food!

If you go for lunch - get there early as it gets packed. The RC also does take-out.

http://www.roastingco.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment