Monday, July 27, 2009

El Valle

I am a Mexican food junkie... ok a cheese junkie - but always love a quick, hot bite with melted cheese. I can find this at El Valle in Matthews. I will admit - this is my Mexican restaurant in the Charlotte area. I have been to others (again - a review will follow as I am giving everyone a new slate) but always find this one the best of the best.

Walking in, the decor is a little - I will say 'different' and the faint smell of cleaning products in the background may shock you a little but don't let that sway you. Once entering, you are greeted by the friendly staff who sit you promptly and bring the chips and salsa. The chips are warm and the salsa is in a small craft and small bowls (so you have your own and don't have to worry about double dippers!). The salsa is homemade and light and tasty and only the slight heat is an after taste. The waiter came and took my order - the #11 (one burrito, one enchilada - cheese, and a taco) and a jumbo margarita. Not even five minutes later, my meal arrived.

The plate was hot! and the food sizzling. The burrito was simple - beef and cheese. The beef had good flavoring and not overly greasy - as one my expect. The burrito had a red sauce as well which added flavor. I moved onto the taco next - this was stocked full of beef, lettuce and cheese and still hot. Finally - the enchilada. The cheese was melted all the way through (I have been to some places where the cheese is not melted all the way through and you get to the middle and it is shredded coldness). The enchilada sauce was also tasty. As for the jumbo margarita - it was big and it hit the spot.

I will also recommend the Chicken Chilaquiles - which is shredded chicken served on corn tortillas topped with some cheese and red sauce. This dish has it all - perfect flavored chicken that is tender to the touch with the nice blend of spices (and hotness) on top of the moist corn tortillas that compliment the chicken.

I give El Valle 4 ghosts just for the quickness, cheapness and hot food. Don't judge it based on the appearance - as this is a flavor party on a plate. (and yes - I did give it 4 ghosts - similar to Andrew Blairs and Crepe Cellar Revisited - but this place it GOOD). My #11 plus jumbo margarita was $12.50 (not including tip).

305 W John St Matthews, NC 28105-5356 (704) 845-1417

No comments:

Post a Comment