Saturday, July 11, 2009

Andrew Blair's

My first summer restaurant for the Charlotte Restaurant Week (CRW) - Andrew Blair's. What drew me to the restaurant during this week was the menu offered - a glass of wine, two apps, an entree and a dessert - you cannot beat that deal for $30!

When my spouse and I arrived, we waited for our table for about 20 minutes (no biggie - it's a busy week) and sat at the bar with a glass of wine. The bartender was friendly and they had a baseball game on - which helped pass the time. I was also able to take in the atmosphere and noted that it was a 'hip, trendy' decor but very relaxing. Once our table was ready, we were sat by a friendly hostess who gave us an overview of the regular menu as well as the Restaurant Week menu. We had plenty of time to review the menu as it took about five minutes for the waitress to come to our table to welcome us. I understand it is busy with CRW but it more of a higher end place (as compared to your Harper's etc) but five minutes with no 'just a moment, we'll be with you' was hard to bite.

Once we were approached by our server - who was nice but a little rushed (again CRW) - we placed our orders:

Mine (per the menu)-
- Saintsbury Carneros Pinot Noir
- Roasted Oysters on the 1/2 Shell - garlic, Parmesan, Pernod cream and spinach
- Yellowfin Tuna Napolean - diced sashimi tuna, olive tapenade, cherry tomatoes, double yogurt aïoli, wontons
- Petit Filet and Crab Rosti - buttermilk mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, veal demi glace
- Chocolate Moltan Cake

Spouse -
- Saintsbury Carneros Pinot Noir
- Yellowfin Tuna Napolean - diced sashimi tuna, olive tapenade, cherry tomatoes, double yogurt aïoli, wontons
- Seneca Salad - arugula, shiitake mushrooms, goat cheese, pine nuts, strawberry basil vinaigrette
- Wild Salmon - sundried tomato & basil polenta cake, feta & cucumber salad, summer gaspacho
- Pistachio Milk Shake

Alot of food - for the price!

Our appetizers came and I received three oysters and a nice portion of tune. The oysters were nicely roasted and warm and tender. The sauteed spinach gave a good balance to the oyster - both in texture and flavor. Next, I dove into the tuna. This was excellent. The tuna was served on to of the olive tapenade and presented on a wonton. The olive tapenade was savory and a surprise for my palate as it was paired with the tuna. The tapenade was just the right amount (too much could have overpowered the tuna). I also tasted of the spouse's salad, which had the perfect amount of dressing - nice and light! As we waited for the entrees, we were also served pimento fritters and cornbread. One negative on this was that they already cleared our appetizer plates so we were eating over a basket. Second, the cornbread was ice cold and dry. The positive outcome of this were the fritters. They were hot and had a soft center and crisp shell - with a bite of the pimento. A side note - the server did get better as the meal progressed... so the first five minute wait can be forgiven due to CRW.

Entrees. My filet was a nice serving size - I did not leave overly stuffed. The filet, which I ordered medium, was a perfect medium. Nicely seared and tender. The middle of the steak practically melted in my mouth. The crab on top was nicely seasoned and paired well with the filet. I only wish there was more crab. The mashed potatoes were a smooth texture and not too heavy. I will admit - I am not a potato person - but I ate these potatoes! My spouse had the salmon (cooked medium), which I tasted. The salmon flaked easily and was very tender and flavorful. This salmon, combined with the feta/cucumber salad gives a good balance of acid.

The desserts came quickly after the dinner plates were cleared. My chocolate moltan cake had a crispy outside and a very moist inside. I will admit, I was expecting the middle to explode with chocolate - but instead, it was a very rich chocolate cake. The cake was thick to swallow but delightful. I also tasted of the pistachio milkshake (milkshake?!) and is was smooth with the hint of pistachio.

Overall, the meal was good. The service redeemed itself during the meal as I know it is restaurant week. I will say the location is a little off as it is a higher priced restaurant across from the Roasting Company and Angry Ale's... The price was $60 plus tax and gratuity and well worth it. I would give Andrew Blair's 4 ghosts.
www.andrewblairs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment